Posted on Wednesday, May 29th, 2019 at 2:02 pm by Cara
You should take care of your fine jewelry all year round, and summer months call for extra TLC when sun, sand and water activities expose jewelry to more wear and tear. Use our jewelry care and cleaning tips, and stop in and visit us to make sure your jewelry shines long after the summer sun sets.
6 Summer Jewelry Care & Cleaning Tips
- No chlorine or salt water! Remove all jewelry before going into a hot tub or swimming pool or salt water. Chlorine or salt water can damage and discolor metals such as gold and platinum and can slowly erode the finish and polish of gemstones.
- Don't wear jewelry when applying sunscreen, lotions, and when in the shower. These products cause a film to form on your jewelry, making it appear dull and dingy.
- Wipe jewelry after wearing. Use a clean, soft, slightly damp cloth to wipe jewelry after wearing to remove any summer lotions. This will enhance the jewelry’s luster and will ensure that it is clean before storage.
- Store your jewelry in a clean, dry place.
- Keep your jewelry in a fabric-lined jewelry case, or in a box with compartments and dividers to prevent pieces from scratching each other.
- After the summer season, bring your jewelry in for a professional cleaning to maintain the luster and sparkle of your precious jewelry.